Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The NEXT BIG THING

This meme is going around. I was tagged by Hassen Saker whose upcoming work sounds wonderful.

What is the working title of the book?

Manifest. It’s at the printers, I think, so I guess it’s not really a working title anymore.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

From a collage of images forming in my head while I was in graduate school in Cincinnati. They included St. Francis, some deer, and my mother traveling. In school, we were revisiting British Romanticism in a pretty serious way. I was teaching The Scarlet Letter, and though I have loved many books, I think that one was the true love in my reading life. The notions implied by all these images yielded metaphors seemingly behind my back that came together to form a kind of system of meanings in the book.

What genre does your book fall under?

Poetry/Women’s studies/Anthropomorphized Animals and Vice Versa Studies/Hermit Studies

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

Sally Field would play my mom. That was decided and written down in the Book of Decisions long ago. Setsuko Hara would be played by herself or else my eldest niece. Houdini would be played by Casey Affleck because he can probably do sweaty contortionist with a big forehead.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

I can't seem to do an answer to this question. (And I guess that *is* the synopsis).

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript? 

Probably a year.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

The noise in consciousness, the teeming Versailles of the mind hitting a lyric point. That was what I’d hoped for. I think the sublime also snuck in there after I read all the British Romantics.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? 

It has a love poem about Houdini and restraints in it.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 

Harryette Mullen picked it as the winner in December of 2011 of the Gatewood Prize, news that almost caused me to faint. The book will be published by Switchback Books in February 2013. Soon. 

My tagged writers for next Wednesday are: Emari DiGiorgio, Meghan Privitello also available on Twitter , Paige Taggart, Ian Davisson and Soham Patel!

Translate